Monday, January 18, 2010

NL Etsy Shop Feature: Em's Gems Crafts

I’m astounded with the level of ‘busyness’ that has infected the life of myself and my immediate family. It’s as though Christmas barged in (as lovely and family oriented as it was), and then swept out leaving loads of boxes, paper, bags, items to be sorted into our home, and a lot of laundry. Christmas also left my family with a cold, which still hasn’t completely cleared up. So amidst all the organizing, cleaning and folding I have had on my plate, I’ve also had a sick baby, husband and self to nurse. So this has inevitably left me with having to abandon many lovely things I COULD have blogged as well as left my NL shop series in the lurch as sorts. So, alas, with sincere apologies I have returned to continue featuring the lovely artists who sell on Etsy from Newfoundland. I will do this with a short but lovely feature on Emsgemscrafts!


NL Shop Feature on Em’s Gem’s Crafts


A lovely shop opporated by a girl named Emily currently offering light switch covers and pins at $8 - $16 USD. Great prices for something unique and beautiful.

I have lived my whole life in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador. I have aboriginal Metis Inuit heritage and I am finishing my last year of high school. I have been making crafts for sale for about six years but became very serious about it in 2006 after I attended the Aboriginal Youth Art Gathering in St. John’s. I do not do retail sales, except on etsy, I concentrate on wholesale. I sell to three stores in Labrador and three in Newfoundland including Colony of Avalon at Ferryland. My products are also available on the Apollo Ferry. I opened my etsy shop in March 2009.

I work in polymer clay mostly. My products are inspired by the wild berries that grow near my home here in Labrador. Lots of people have suggested that I should make different designs, but I choose to create different types of products all with the berry theme. That’s what I do best. Berries are a traditional food here and berry picking is a traditional activity and one that we look forward to each year. I’ve just finished a large contract of making the medals for the Trapline Marathon – the design was of an intricately detailed snowshoe with redberries and the name of the event.


I am actively involved in my school and my community as a volunteer. I tutor three times a week and help with community events. I have been involved with Youth Ventures for the past two years and have won awards for my products. Recently I was approved under the Provincial Crafts of Character program and will be developing new marketing materials and point of sale displays. My products are now being profiled in the “Getting the Message Out” presentations that are offered by the Department of Innovation Trade and Rural Development.



I am enrolled in art class in school and experimenting with acrylic and water color painting, and really enjoying it. I also like creating jewelry with glass and crystal beads, and semi-precious stones. I am experimenting with cake decorating too and enjoy watching “Cake Boss”.

I don’t know what I’ll study in post secondary, but I will always be a crafter.




1 comment:

Trevor said...

Great series! :)